It is time to start mentally and physically getting yourself ready for summer camp. Here are a few tips to help you get ready and enjoy the week in the "Land made for Scouting": Be Prepared!
- Start thinking of all the fun we will have.
- Familiarize yourself with the summer camp info on our Troop website. Basic info is here. (or http://www.troop17bsa.org – then look under the “upcoming events” menu item).
- Review your merit badge selections and prerequisites on the troop website.
- Get your merit badge pamphlets and WORK THOSE PREREQUISITES (it makes the badges go much easier)
- Get your gear together (check the packing lists), and pack them according to this blog post
- Get your daypack ready - it'll be with you most almost the entire time
- Start moving your diet toward drinking lots of water instead of energy drinks or soda. Hydrate now!
- Walk to as many places as you can, so your legs get used to being up and around all the time
- If you have new shoes/ boots, start wearing them around the house to break them in (blisters are NOT your friend)
- Get yourself ready for the temperature by getting outside of the air conditioning. It's amazing how you adjust.
- Start thinking of a couple of skits, songs, stunts or stories for the many campfires we'll have.
- Get with your patrol mates, and talk about having some patrol adventures - like scaling Mt. Shannon, fishing, etc.
- Packing always takes longer than you think! Don't wait till the last minute.
For some helpful packing tips, check out this post in the news blog on how to pack smart.